(A watercolor painting [with some colored pencil] that I did of the story.)
Please note: All artwork and text on this Blog is the original work of Charles M Warren (me), so please ask before using. Thanks.


>>> To view any posts you might have missed, click on the "Story Index" tab below.

You can also see the whole week's posts together, once each one is completed, by clicking on that week's tab.

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Week Three, Night Four: The Princess And Her Mother

I had a dream last night...
I saw the Golden Princess, sitting upon a pillow on the floor, with an older golden-haired woman standing behind her, sipping on some tea.
“Princess,” began the woman, “You’ve been quite distance as of late. Please, tell me what’s on your mind.”
The Princess smiled, gently shaking her head. “Oh Mother, you needn’t bother about my thoughts. I guess it is just my approaching Birthday that has led my mind to wander.” Then, looking up at the woman, she asked “And what of the plans after the celebration?”
“Why, you will be attending the royal refinement school like any other good prince or princess, where they will train you in the ways of a lady, and recommend other royalty and statesmen for you to be matched up with. Running off with another man's horse isn't exactly fitting for a princess, you know.”
The girl smiled, as she explained “I brought i back to him.” But then she turned serious. “And by ‘matched up with,’ you mean... for marriage?”
“Yes, my dear, of course.” replied her mother, stepping in front of her daughter and bending down to look at her in the face. “But do not be concerned. We want only for you to be happy. We would not agree to anything that went against your happiness, or what was right for you.”
The Princess got up, and walked over to the window. “But mother, what of the Golden Bird, and his prophecy about my betrothed?”
“That was but a silly story.” said the Queen.
The Princess turned to her mother in surprise. “But what of the fairy that came at your birth? And all the gifts she gave when my aunts and uncles were born?”
“True, that is the story my father always told us. But we were forced from that castle long ago, and I just don’t see how–”
“The Golden Bird.” Her daughter interupted. “He came at my christening, and told of the Prince that would come for me. Did you not see that with your own eyes and ears?”
“Yes.” the Queen admitted. “And as much as I passed it off as some kind of trick, I will believe it if you wish me to believe it.”
“And the refinement school?” the Princess asked.
“If things happen as the Bird proclaimed, then we will bring someone here to teach you the things you should know.”
“Really?!” asked the Princess excitedly, running up and wrapping her arms around the Queen. “Oh, thank you Mother!”
“I only ask that you give me a kiss goodbye before he takes you away.”
The girl smiled. “I’ll give you two! And father as well!”
–Charles M Warren