(A watercolor painting [with some colored pencil] that I did of the story.)
Please note: All artwork and text on this Blog is the original work of Charles M Warren (me), so please ask before using. Thanks.


>>> To view any posts you might have missed, click on the "Story Index" tab below.

You can also see the whole week's posts together, once each one is completed, by clicking on that week's tab.

Friday, April 15, 2011

Week Three, Night Five: The Fox At The Mansion


I had a dream last night...
I saw the Fox, moving through the grass at midday, sneaking up on a window of the hunter’s mansion.
The shutters were open, with air being allowed to pass in and out, when the canine leaped up unto the windowsill, and peeked in to see the Golden Bird in his wooden cage.
“Dear friend,” said the Fox, “Have you observed anything about the Princess, and how she can best be reached?”
The bird cocked his head, almost as if he didn’t understand, then opened his beak and said:
"To the east of her castle, in a wood where water starts; the maiden will be bathing, with her protectors quite apart."
The Fox bowed his head, saying "Thank you, kind fowl." And he turned around to leap down onto the ground saying "Now, if only that Rider would leave her alone."
 and leaped back onto the ground.
When the bird spoke again: "The Rider causes shame, to the beast that he rides; for his true intentions, he rarely hides. The witch of the castle of sparkling gold, made me fetch the apples, for potions untold. She poisoned the fruit, and with the Rider so sly; sent them to princes, to make them all die."
The Fox narrowed his eyes at the thought of the old woman's treachery. "I figured as much."
"You saved the one prince, so valiant indeed;" said the bird, "yet danger encompasses the others, no warning did they heed."
As the canine began to ponder the Bird's words, he heard talking from the front of the mansion.
So he hopped back down to the ground, and quietly snuck up to the front corner of the grand house, peeking around to see the mansion's Hunter speaking with the Rider atop the Golden Horse.
The Rider pointed down at the big man, "What are you trying to do by sending that boy after MY horse?!"
"Ha ha! I knew he wouldn't get him." the Hunter replied. "I was merely ensuring I would never see the lad again."
Seeming to calm down a bit, the Rider said "Well, there are plenty of other horses you could have sent him to steal."
"So what was his punishment?" the hunter asked. "What did you do to him to get him out of your hair?"
"Simple, really." explained the Rider. "I sent him to fetch me the Golden Princess."
"Ho ho ha!" laughed the Hunter. "That's a fool's errand if I've ever heard one! I just hope you weren't looking forward to that coming true!"
The Rider turned away, a bit irritated, before finally replying "No. At the very least, the Princess will see how much I want her. " Then he smiled, "After all, I'm even sending princes to fetch her hand for me!"
As they both began to laugh, the Fox turned away, saying to himself "Don't be too surprised, O proud Rider, when that Prince gains the heart of the object you so selfishly covet!"
–Charles M Warren