(A watercolor painting [with some colored pencil] that I did of the story.)
Please note: All artwork and text on this Blog is the original work of Charles M Warren (me), so please ask before using. Thanks.


>>> To view any posts you might have missed, click on the "Story Index" tab below.

You can also see the whole week's posts together, once each one is completed, by clicking on that week's tab.

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Week One, Night Five: A Fox's Advice


I had a dream last night...
It was late in the day, when I saw a red fox quietly hiding in the tall grass by the road-side.
Before long, a man came walking up this road, which caused the fox to start looking around the grass, trying to see just what the man looked like. Until suddenly the fox jumped out onto the road, standing a little ways in front of the man.
The man was the Prince of the Golden Apples, who was startled by the animal, and quickly drew his bow and arrow to fend off the creature.
But the fox opened his mouth, and said to the Prince “Please, I mean you no harm. Spare me my life and I will help you obtain what you seek.”
The Prince was quite shocked to hear the creature speak, “What a curious creature you are!” and slowly lowered his bow. “Very well, I will do as you ask, and withhold my arrow.”
The animal calmly sat down, and asked the Prince “Now where are you going, and from where have you come?”

“My father is the king of the land south of here, known for the Golden Apple Tree that grows in his garden. And despite my father’s doubts about me, I discovered that our apples were being stolen by a magnificent Golden Bird!” And the Prince took off his hat to show the fox the golden feather that adorned it. “My father saw the golden feather, and decided he must have the whole bird. So he let my two brothers go out to find it, one searching east, and the other west. But I thought someone should look to the north, for I’m sure that is where he was going. And it was only after much pleading that my father finally let me go.”
“So I see. So I see.” replied the Fox. “Not too long ago, I saw you’re two brothers coming up this very road.”
“Then I am not far behind!” exclaimed the Prince. “I may be able to see them before we have to part ways!”
“Are they really as great as all that?” asked the canine. “Both shot at me when I pleaded for my life. But I’ll give you the same advice that I gave them: When you arrive at the next village, be wary of the cheerful inn, it will cause you nothing but trouble and heartache. Instead, take the shabby, humble inn, which has more than enough for a night’s lodging.”
“Thank you good fox. I apologize for my brothers’ hastiness. They must have been startled by your appearance in the same way that I was. But of the Golden Bird, what can you tell me about how I may find it?”
“Once you have had your rest, meet me on the other side of the village at first light. I will take you where you need to go. But do not look for your brothers among the village, for trouble is all that you will find.”
“Very well.” replied the Prince. “I will do as you say. My brothers will likely be the ones to find me anyway.”
The Fox bowed to the Prince, “Tomorrow then.” and turned and sprinted off into the woods. I followed along as the canine ran across the outer edge of the town, coming up to a line of houses, and hopping up onto a pile of firewood, then up on to the roof of one of them. The Fox then leapt from house to house, looking toward the center of town.
Finally he caught sight of a building with large windows across the front, where he could see two men inside, dressed in fancy clothes, laughing and having a good time.
“They didn’t listen.” noted the Fox, before turning back to where he had come, he adding “Then he must be the one.”
–Charles M Warren