(A watercolor painting [with some colored pencil] that I did of the story.)
Please note: All artwork and text on this Blog is the original work of Charles M Warren (me), so please ask before using. Thanks.


>>> To view any posts you might have missed, click on the "Story Index" tab below.

You can also see the whole week's posts together, once each one is completed, by clicking on that week's tab.

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Week Six, Night Four: What The Witch Did


I had a dream last night...
I saw the Princess, holding onto the Prince’s shoulder with one hand, and the Horse’s bridle with the other. “What was that noise?” she asked, afraid of just what might happen when they really do come face-to-face with the Witch of the Golden Castle.
“I’ll go see.” volunteered the Prince.
But the girl grabbed onto his sleeve. “Wait! We need to stay together.”
The Fox nodded. “Yes. And we’re going to have to confront the old woman at some point anyway.”
So they made their way together, into the next room, with the Prince leading with his torch, and even the Horse and Bird trailing along at the rear.
They glanced up a stairway along the wall at their left, when they heard something up ahead... someone, groaning in pain.
Carefully entering into the next room, they could make out the walls across from them, when they realized someone was lying on the floor, over by the corner.
While remaining on the floor, she threw off the cloak she was wearing, and revealed herself to be the Witch! “Come. Come help me up.” she said.
The Fox squinted his eyes, telling the others “It’s a trap.”
“How could you think such a think, dear foxxy?” said the Witch. “After all we’ve been through.” She then waved her hand in the air, as she recited ancient words.
And suddenly the eyes of the Horse and the Bird began to glow a fiery purple. They quickly lunged forward, as the steed pushed the Prince toward the middle of the room, and the fowl grabbed hold of the Fox, causing the weak floor to give way under all their weight!
Now, only the Golden Princess and the old woman remained, watching as the others fell into the darkness below.
The Witch climbed to her feet, saying “Now, you’re the last one. I’ll ensure that you never get my castle, and never fill it with a family of your own.”
The poor girl didn’t know what to do, but run off in the other direction.
The Witch quickly got around the chasm in the floor, making it to the entryway, and locking the door behind her.
The Princess knew her only chance was to get out of the unfamiliar, closed-in space. So she made her way out the way they had come, but somehow took a wrong turn, and ended up in another room, with tall windows that reached halfway up the dark walls.
She turned around to go back out, when there stood the Witch before her, brandishing a crooked dagger in her hand.
The girl backed up, trying to think of what to do. “What do you want with us? Aren’t you my own mother’s sister?”
The old woman shook her head, taking another step closer. “The bones of that old woman lie crushed outside. I’ve been much closer to you. And have done far more for you. Yet never got any appreciation at all.”
“What are talking about? How do I know you?” she asked.
“I once had a face like yours.” she replied. “And even strived to watch yours light up with joy. Yet you required too much, you and your golden locks.”
“Who are you?! What did I even do to you?”
“You’ve taken away my beloved.” the Witch replied. “You’ve taken away everything. But now the Golden Castle is mine. And you’ve even brought my Horse and Bird back to me. So you will not now take it all away again!” So she raised the dagger into the air, and lunged at the Princess.
When out of nowhere came the Fox, jumping in front of the blade, and letting it sink into his side. Yet was still able to get it out of the Witch’s hand.
Then the Prince and the animals came running in through the door, with the Prince tackling the old woman, and holding her down on the floor.
The Princess pointed at the injured canine, saying “The Fox! He’s been hurt!” stepping over to check on him.
“What happened?” asked the Prince.
“He jumped in the way of the blade.” the girl explained. “Taking the blow meant for me.”
The Fox lifted his head up off the floor, saying to the Prince “Now, will you grant me my request?”
The boy glanced at the girl, then back at the canine, as the creature continued.
“Hurry, before I breath my last. You must cut off my head and my limbs. Only then will things be set right.”
–Charles M Warren